About Me

My photo
Well I entered the world on 25th June 2010, the day after mummys birthday. That picture up there was one of the first daddy took of me. We were all fine and was home the next day. As I am now at 9weeks, I love being in my swing, on my play gym or in the bath kicking my legs around (ready for daddy to take me footie) I'm quite the dribbler!! I do love cuddles though :) I do have my screaming fits, excersising the lungs, I get passed from mummy to daddy then back to mummy till eventually I fall asleep, bouncing me does wonders. So I'm pretty much the same as every other 9week old on the block, only difference is I have Cystic Fibrosis. I will get mummy to explain it as best she can for you and will try to keep you as up to date with everything as we can. So here is my story.....

Saturday 18 September 2010

Thursday 16th September.....a trip to Great Ormond Street...

Today was the day for my lung function test. Daddy has taken the day off work to come with us. When we get there they do all the usual that the Brompton do, weight, height, cough swab etc. I feel like I'm getting fat now, I'm 12lb 3oz. My vests and sleepy suits are getting a tad tight now i must admit, i think i need to go up a size. But ill have that debate with m&d later...back to the hosp....so for some reason mummy had to starve me (only joking but i did need to be ready to feed when i got there) so starving away after being weighed and pulled and tugged i finally get my milk, but whats this, mummy is putting something else in my mouth, ergh thats yucky, aah back to my bottle.....mmmm.....zzzzzz

suddenly mummy wakes me up and I'm back at home being fed again. Hold it.....MUMMY have i missed something?......

Ok so this is what he missed out on....

So at around half one, i fed Ethan. I had to give him a 'sleeping syrup' which just induces a deeper natural sleep. It doesn't knock him out and wont work if he is not tired. He was, and off he drifted. As i was about to hand him over he stirred so i carried on feeding him till he was asleep again. He done this a couple of times until eventually he was long gone. The Doctor there were very good and explained everything as they went along. They basically done a series of different tests, none of which Ethan was aware of nor did it cause him any pain or discomfort. Me on the other hand, well, its not nice seeing your little baby going through it. But hopefully we made the right choice to do this with him.

They attached an oxygen mask to his face which let in a little as for him to breath in. This was all hooked up to computers and machines and they basically was seeing where in the body the gas was going. How they tell all this from squiggly lines i don't know, but then I'm no doctor. Then they tested to see the size of his lungs, again all squiggly lines on the computer from the gas he is breathing. Then they wanted to test to see how deep a breath he could take joined with how quick and hard he could blow it out. Now to one of us we would just be told to breath our really hard into a tube and that measures it, but for a baby not so easy. The oxygen mask somehow made him take the deep breath. Then they strapped a jacket round him with a little plastic bag inside it, this was then connected to another tube. Air was puffed into this to make it inflate which in turn helped Ethan to breath out really quick. Again more squiggly lines on the comp. They did seem very impressed with him, little show off, even when he is asleep :) The final thing was done by a different lady. She shone a black and white checkered light (you will see the funny pic below) over his chest which had cameras either side looking at his lungs. She is trying to determine an easier, less invasive was of measuring the lung capacity, the checkered spots move with his breathing and cameras are measuring different things...i don't know like i said I'm no doctor. Hopefully from comparing her results to the other ones, with a bit of tweaking here and there, they might be able to do some of the measurements this way in the future. So that way, Ethan may have made things easier for babies to come :) I'm sure he will be pleased with himself. That was pretty much it and i should get the results when he goes in for the broncoscopy on the 27th. They seemed pretty pleased with him so fingers crossed all will come back well. They let me take a few pictures to share with you all, the room was dark and i didn't want to use the flash to start with in case it woke him up, so here they are.....


 







all tired out   

He than slept pretty much all evening, just waking to be fed then off to sleep again, bless him must of been tiring for him all that sleeping haha :)

Off to swimming tomorrow if he is ok....Mummy x

No comments:

Post a Comment